Thursday, March 12, 2009

Meira Completes Transfer Move to Zenit.

Galatasaray takes all the risks in their 08/09 UEFA Cup Campaign. With the serious absences of Servet Cetin and Emre Gungor, the team sold the only defender (along with the veteran Emre Asik) to Zenit. I hope it won't cost the team a UEFA Cup and the Turkish League.


Here is a news link about the transfer.

Meira “enthusiastic” about Zenit move
Defender completes Russia switch
Meira
Fernando Meira says he has mixed feelings about his transfer to Zenit St Petersburg, after completing a 6.5m euro move from Galatasaray.

The Portuguese defender only arrived in Turkey last summer from German side Stuttgart, but the champions have had a somewhat turbulent season, with a poor defensive record contributing to Gala currently sitting in 5th place in the Super Lig.

Meira has shouldered some of the blame for the team’s defensive shortcomings, but rumours that the club were happy to offload the former Benfica man have been downplayed by Meira, who insists the team are still in a good position.

“I am leaving a team which won the super cup, is still in the Uefa Cup today and who are gaining ground in the championship, and still have to play the first-placed teams. It is the best proof that it is false that the directors wanted to transfer me."

On the move to Russia, Meira added: “I feel sad because I am leaving a great club, with fantastic supporters and a city I love. But on the other hand, I am happy and full of enthusiasm because I am going to a winning club which presented an irrefutable offer.

“My price tag? It obliges me to concentrate and work harder in my day-to-day work. I will continue to give my best for my club,” concluded the Guimaraes man, who will wear the number three shirt at the Petrovsky Stadium.

By Sean Gillen

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-zenit-news/741-meira-qenthusiasticq-about-zenit-move

No comments:

Post a Comment